Officer of the watch Less than 500GT (NCV)
The trainees who successfully complete the programme are eligible to appear for the Certificate of Competency Officer-in-Charge of a Navigational Watch on ships of less than 500 GT (NCV) Examination conducted by the Directorate of Merchant Shipping, Sri Lanka.
Course Commencement Dates
- Have an approved training of not less than 24 months duration, either pre-sea or on board ship, which includes a period of seagoing service of not less than 12 months duration on ships of 80 gross tonnage or more; or
- approved seagoing service in the deck department of not less than 36 months duration, on ships of 80 gross tonnage or more;
- Have credit passes for Mathematics, Science and English at GCE O/L or SSC(for Indian students) or equivalent and
- Hold the Basic Safety Training Certificates;
- Have performed, within the required seagoing service, bridge watch keeping. duties under the supervision of the Master or a qualified officer for not less than 6 months.
- shall hold a letter of edibility issued by the DGMS
Candidates to send scanned copies of following documents to assess the eligibility
- CDC to assess sea time
- Passport Name Page
- Testimonial to confirm 06 months bridge watch keeping
- STCW Basic short courses certificates
- GCE (O/L) or equivalent qualifications
For International students
- The candidate will receive a message on results of the initial assessment carried out by the Examiner of the Mates and Masters.
- If the candidate is eligible, CINEC will process the application for Entry Visa documents for the candidate. (This would take approximately three to four weeks)
- The CINEC will send a copy of entry visa document to the candidate.
- The candidate to visit to the nearest Sri Lankan Embassy to obtain the Entry Visa.
- On entry to Sri Lanka the student will receive one month visa at the Colombo Airport.
- The student shall obtain the letter of eligibility from the Office of DGMS and extend the visa (at present Visa extension fee is SL Rs 20,000) after enrolment at CINEC (CINEC will provide necessary guidance).